Tuesday, February 12, 2013

10 oddities about living in Bogotá, Colombia



So, I was sitting the other night with some friends discussing what we all found strange about living as an expat in Colombia…all those bizarre things which to a Colombian seem perfectly normal, yet to a non-Colombian seem quite frankly…odd! The following is a short list of ten things that I find strange about life in the big, bad city of Bogotá, Colombia!

1.            Strange voices 

There is nothing stranger… or for that matter more frustrating than waking up on a Saturday morning to the sound of some of the strangest, most confusing and inaudible voices you have ever come across in your life! Whilst on one hand you desire to know exactly what these strange ‘chants’ are, on the other hand, the last thing you want to do is get out of your bed on a cold, rainy Bogota morning to try and get a sneaky-peak of what animal or creature is making those noises!

Therefore, you lie still, close your eyes, and listen…straining your ears to try and understand what is being shouted through your barrio. In my barrio it's usually who I have come to nick-name 'avocado man' or 'flores man' who stroll the streets of the neighborhood hoping to sell their avocados and flowers, obviously things you need to buy first thing in the morning...right? Proudly, they stroll through the barrio chanting their little chants, making sure everyone is awake and given the chance to buy avocados and flowers - that is if you can understand them first!

If it's not avocado man or flower man making some of the strangest 'sounds' you have ever heard it might be the gypsies, going round the neighborhood on their horses and carts, looking for scrap! Either way, a day doesn't go by in this city in which you question your own sanity at some of the sounds you are hearing!
 


2.            Chocolate and cheese 

Only the Colombians would think it would be a good idea to put cheese in hot chocolate. Don’t get me wrong…I love cheese, and I love chocolate…though they aren’t two things I might necessarily eat together. Nonetheless, this typical Breakfast dish is slowly growing on me though I’m not sure it’s something that I’ll take back to Northern Ireland!


3.            Fruit salad and cheese

Another one of Colombia’s genius dishes! Colombia has some of the most exotic, fascinating and delicious fruits in the world I have ever tried. Therefore there should be nothing more pleasurable than the process of ordering a fruit salad. Mango, pineapple, apple, banana, passion fruit, papaya, pitahaya, carambolo, guanabana … and so the list continues. You watch in awe and excitement for what you are about to tuck into until the lady stops…and starts to smother your ‘healthy option lunch’ with not only condensed milk (dulce de leche) but cheese…yes, cheese. Now, stop and try take that in.

4.            Liquids sold in plastic bags – drinks from the streets

Quite frankly, I used to find it hilarious that all things liquid are sold in bags in supermarkets…water, yoghurt, milk … you name it, it comes in a bag, not a bottle or a carton. Not only is this genius idea better for the environment, but much more economical. Just make sure you have a range of plastic jugs in the house for your return from the weekly shop!


5.            Minutos and being called from unknown numbers

For a good few weeks, I was convinced that I had a stalker in Colombia. Every day, my phone would vibrate, I would look down and there would be another unknown number. I mean, what was happening to me? I know that too often in my drunken state on a Saturday night in Theatron I was sometimes a little too easily persuaded to give my number to a semi-looking hot Latino guy, but this was too common to be true. Instead, I soon realised that given the expensive nature of calling mobiles, especially other networks and the culture of Colombians in that they seem to hate texting (possibly due to the high price and the fact that they can be easily ignored or forgotten) phoning from a random vendors phone on the street who usually has a range of, if not all the networks works out much cheaper and more efficient. So, lesson learnt…pick up that phone call!


6.            A mild obsession with carbohydrates

Being born and raised in Northern Ireland I love my carbs! I love food in general, and I never quite understood when you went to restaurants outside of Northern Ireland why you were asked if you wanted vegetables or potatoes with your main dish. Obviously you want both! Nonetheless, despite being accustomed to eating quite a lot of food (and perhaps blaming quite a lot of that on my culture) I just can’t get over the amount of Carbohydrates that the Colombians can consume on one plate. It is not unusual at lunch to have a huge meal including meat accompanied with rice, potatoes, pasta, yucca (a type of root vegetable) and beans. 



7.            Horn honking even when there isn’t oncoming traffic

Colombian taxi drivers just love a good honk as they come up to any junction. It is impossible to walk more than half a block without hearing someone beep the horn! It’s ridiculous…though probably for the best, given some of the driving I have seen in Colombia.


8.            Guards with guns and street police who look about 14 years old

I don’t know which one is actually worse…the fact that guards protecting banks and shopping centres carry loaded guns or the fact that the police ‘men’ on duty on the transmilenio (Bogotá’s equivalent of the tube) look about 14 years old and can usually be seen play fighting with their batons or standing around aimlessly texting. Either way, I’m never quite sure whether to feel safe or threatened.

 
9.            Tying knots on all your plastic bags

Simples. Colombians love to tie knots…on everything you buy! Even if you buy an apple from Carulla (a bit like our version of Marks and Spencers – to which nothing is comparable if you ask me) the shop assistant will most likely put it in a plastic bag and tie what usually is a ridiculously tight army knot in it. Also remember to show your receipt on the way out to that 14 year old – you don’t want him beating you with his toy baton!

10.          Forget ‘fairy liquid’ – Hola Axion!

Washing dishes is a nightmare in Bogotá…no hot water, no fairy liquid. That washing up ‘liquid’ isn’t actually liquid but a solid-type soap which you battle with to try and wash all your dishes.


Anyway, these are only about ten of some of the strangest things that I have found about living in Colombia. There are many more, and I am sure that I will continue to be equally as amazed/dumbfounded as time goes on!  

 Nonetheless, it is these things that make Colombia the fascinating country that it really is. Despite being completely confused most of my time here, I can’t help but feel slightly at home here in this crazy country and in love with its people and its culture! Viva Colombia!

No comments:

Post a Comment