Friday, August 9, 2013

Colombia - A reflection (Part 1)

So, I have now spent a few months back in Northern Ireland after spending a year living in Colombia, South America. Whilst in Colombia, I was faced with what seemed like a never ending string of situations and experiences that challenged me and helped me grow into something closer to the person that I hope to be.

Marcel Proust, a popular French novelist and literary critic stated that “The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.” Leaving the comforts of a life as a teacher in the UK in search of something more exciting, Colombia provided much more than I ever expected, and perhaps desired in some occasions.

I grew to develop a love/hate relationship with the culture and all aspects of life that stemmed from it. Like Proust said, I headed for Latin America in search of seeking new landscapes, new sights and new experiences but I was not ready…well not completely for some of the lessons that I would have to learn during my time there.

I am a firm believer that in order to fully understand some things, removing yourself (and in my case physically) from the situation who can look at it with fresh eyes. Eyes that have had time to adjust to reality and reflect critically but sensibly upon what they have just witnessed.
I guess that it is now time to look at my time in Colombia through what I guess Proust would have called ‘new eyes’.

1.       Time is precious, spend it wisely
Corny, cheesy, cringe-worthy…call it what you like but it’s true. There were times I wished my time away in Colombia, desiring of returning home to the comforts of the UK or to other far-away lands. Having lived in various parts of the UK, Europe, Asia and South America…I have become used to but not numb to having to say goodbye. Every time I leave somewhere, and a little piece of my soul there I can’t help but be thankful for the time I spent there growing to know a new culture and developing friendships. Time really is precious; spend it wisely doing whatever it is that makes you happy…and never stop

2.       Tell people daily as much as you can how much you love them
Being British, we tend not to open up our hearts and struggle to show our emotions. Perhaps it’s due to a fear of rejection, or of being hurt. Perhaps, more simply, we see it as unnecessary and perhaps slightly OTT. In Colombia, I grew to not only accept or appreciate but begin to endorse the Latin American culture of telling people how much I loved them. Family and friendships are fundamental aspects of not just Latino culture but the world and the essence of life itself. 

3.       Be thankful for what you have. There is always someone worse off than you
I am by no means wealthy. I am a Modern Foreign Languages teacher in a London school. My salary disappears on rent, bills and transport. Nonetheless, I have learnt to stop complaining. I have friends, I have family, and I have opportunities. Travel has opened my eyes to the fact that I am extremely lucky and I hope that I never cease to realise how blessed I am. I have worked with orphaned children in Uganda, spoke to land mine victims in Cambodia, seen the prostitutes at work and the homeless begging in Colombia and thank God every time that it’s not me…not out of pity, nor to be patronising but to appreciate that life has been kind to me and to be thankful.

4.       Push yourself out of your comfort zones. You will be amazed at what you will learn
Go bungee jumping, trek the Andes in Ecuador alone, take a one-way flight to Bogotá. Whatever it is that pushes you to the extreme…do it. Sometimes, it’s scary, sometimes it’s hard but the rewards are endless. Walsch said ‘life begins at the end of your comfort zone’. Push yourself until you find whatever it is you’re looking for.

5.       Never judge a book by its cover
During my time in Colombia, I met a lot of people. Spending time in hostels and talking to strangers taught me that you should never make assumptions. Respect people, their culture and the decisions they have made as to how they live their life. Try not to be prejudice towards someone based purely upon their nationality, stereotype, gender, sexuality or anything else which you feel may define them as a human being.

6.       Take risks but be prepared to suffer the consequences
It’s good to take risks but that’s not always to say that you don’t have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Stepping out of your comfort zone is never easy and sometimes you end up in tricky situations, especially abroad. Move on from your errors, reflect upon your past but try not to dwell upon it.

7.       Being alone and being lonely are not necessarily the same thing
There is nothing wrong with being on your own. This year I took a month to travel myself around Ecuador. This was my first experience of travelling properly on my own, and it was exactly what I needed…a sort of meditation. I left all my ‘baggage’ back in the jungle somewhere in Ecuador and headed back to my life in Colombia feeling fully refreshed and rejuvenated.

8.       Stop and listen
I am a perfectionist. I like to do things my way and I like to also tell people how I think things should get done. I guess that being a teacher; I somehow feel that I am always right and that being opinionated somehow makes me a better person. Recently, I read a blog by a friend and gifted writer who wrote:

   ‘Read the signs - Take your time. Look for the red light and listen to the alarm bells ringing. Go with your instinct and that gut feeling. Signs are like a language that one has to practice throughout life in order to become fluent. You can waste a lot of time and energy by denying the obvious, ignoring the hints, warnings and nudges in the right direction. Follow the path that leads you to peace by listening and understanding the energy that surrounds you’ 

Every so often, stop doing what you do and question your actions. Listen to others and learn from them. Try to see others point of view, even if they are contrary to your own…You never know what you might learn.

9.       It’s ok to make mistakes sometimes
Author Rick Warren wrote that “We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it.” Learn from your mistakes but try not to make them twice. Don’t become a slave to guilt and certainly do not permit it to stop you living life to the full. Life wouldn’t be half as interesting without a few stumbles and falls along the way. Our past shapes our future, but it doesn’t have to dictate it. Find out who you want to be and do what you have to do to get there, without letting your past stop you.

10.   If you put our mind to something…you can achieve it

Realise that you are the captain to your own ship…a piece of advice from my father. You are in control, no one else. Realise that! Life is short and for living, but that’s not to see that it comes without its own set of challenges and difficulties. Don’t let anything stand between you and your goals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment